Apple Cinnamon Monkey Bread

This is a  monkey bread I made yesterday.  It turned out so good.....although I thought it wouldn't due to the fact that I used a mixture of Whole Wheat Flour and Duram Atta Flour (which is usually used to make flatbreads, roti's, etc.).  I did add some vital gluten to it to make the dough more pliable.  I didn't use any white sugar in my recipe, but other recipes do contain it.

This is the recipe I used.  You can make it with white flour too.

2 tsp. yeast
1 1/3 cup warm water
2 tbsp. olive oil
3 1/2 cups flour 

2 apples
raisins
coconut oil
maple syrup (I used nutmeg syrup that we bought while in Grenada)

Put yeast in warm water and let sit for about 5 minutes.  In a large bowl, mix the flour and the oil together with the yeast and knead for 7 - 10 minutes.  Coat bowl with oil and cover for about 1 1/2 to 2 hours with a tea towel, until it's about double in size.  Then punch down the dough and make small balls of dough and coat them in cinnamon (you can use a cinnamon/sugar combo if you want more sweetness).  Place the balls of dough in a bunt pan.  At the half-way point, you can put a layer of sliced apples and cinnamon and drizzle with maple syrup, and then continue with more dough balls on top -- or you can just leave it all as a topping.  I put the apples and cinnamon throughout.  Drizzle some melted coconut oil and maple syrup over the top and bake at 350 degrees F for about 30 minutes.





Comments